THE UNITED REPUBLIC OF TANZANIA
MINISTRY OF AGRICULTURE, LIVESTOCK AND FISHERIES
MINISTRY OF AGRICULTURE, LIVESTOCK AND FISHERIES
SOUTH WEST INDIAN OCEAN FISHERIES GOVERNANCE AND SHARED GROWTH PROGRAM (SWIOFish) PROJECT-
IDA CREDIT No.5589-TZ
REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
Assignment Title: PROVISION OF CONSULTANCY SERVICES TO CONDUCT VALUE CHAIN ANALYSIS FOR THE FISHERIES SECTOR IN THE UNITED REPUBLIC OF TANZANIA
Reference No. TENDER No.ME/021/2015-16/SWIOFish/C/09
The Government of the United Republic of Tanzania has received financing from the World Bank toward the cost of the South West Indian Ocean Fisheries Governance and Shared Growth program – SWIOFish, and intends to apply part of the proceeds for consulting services.
The consulting services (“the Services”) include
i. Benchmark the competitiveness (productivity and costs) of a selected group of fisheries products against competitors in a representative sample of priority fisheries value chains.
ii. Review the detailed breakdown of costs and productivity for each fisheries product and identify the main reasons for the productivity and costs gaps (e.g. policy and regulatory, infrastructure, access to finance, access to markets, human capital, other market failures).
iii. Identify the most important and common constraints for each fisheries product and across the sample of the selected value chains (four/five priority fisheries value chains.
iv. Generate possible practical solutions for addressing the identified constraints.
The main duties and responsibilities of the VCA Consultant will be as follows;
1. Selection of products for in-depth analysis The study will focus on the following four/five priority fisheries value chains for both Mainland and Zanzibar: Small pelagics, Prawn, Tuna (artisanal), Octopus and Reef fisheries.
2. Selection of countries for benchmarking.
3. Identification of the main cost and quality drivers along the value chains and hypothesis formulation as to the main constraints to be investigated.
4. Benchmarking of productivity and key costs.
5. Synthesizing the results to identify the main constraints to improved economic performance along the value chains differentiating by type of firm.
6. Developing recommendations and action plan for SWIOFish to implement.
7. Preparing and disseminating the final reports and power point presentations
The assignment is expected to last for 18 weeks.
The Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock and Fisheries (MALF) now invites eligible consulting firms (“Consultants”) to indicate their interest in providing the Services. Interested Consultants should provide information demonstrating that they have the required qualifications and relevant experience to perform the Services. The shortlisting criteria are:
A. Qualified firm with at least 8 years of experience in developing value chain analysis, private sector diagnostics, trade and markets, preferably with specific experience in the wider fisheries sector and or in East African context.
B. The Consultant should have at least one key staff, the team leader with the following qualification and Experience:
· Ph.D. or Masters in a relevant discipline related to this consultancy
· At least 7 years of experience in advising senior government officials on analysing and strengthening value chains. Extra credit for specific, proven experience in the fisheries sector.
· Excellent organizational, research, writing and communication skills, Fluent in English
· Hands-on and action-oriented approach
· Extra credit for work in Tanzania or the South West Indian Ocean
The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to paragraph 1.9 of the World Bank’s Guidelines: Selection and Employment of Consultants by World Bank Borrowers; January 2011 revised July,2014 by World Bank Borrowers [(“Consultant Guidelines”), setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest.
Consultants may associate with other firms in the form of a joint venture or a sub consultancy to enhance their qualifications.
A Consultant will be selected in accordance with the Consultant Qualification Selection (CQS) method set out in the Consultant Guidelines.
Further information can be obtained at the address below during office hours from 08:00 to 15:30 hours on Mondays to Fridays except on public holidays
Expression of Interest in one original plus two (2) copies enclosed in a sealed envelope, clearly marked “TENDER No.ME/021/2016-17/SWIOFish/C/09 Expression of Interest to Conduct “Value Chain Analysis for the Fisheries Sector in the United Republic of Tanzania” must be delivered to the address below by 10.00 hours local time on Monday 24th October, 2016 at Mvuvi House Room No. 2. Late Expressions of Interest shall not be accepted for evaluation irrespective of the circumstances.
Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock and Fisheries
Veterinary Complex, 131 Nelson Mandela Road
P.O.Box 9152, 15487 Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Tel. No: +2252228619110, Fax No: +255222861